Getting Rid of Pests by Eliminating their Needs
Bugs are no different than humans in that we’re all in search of 3 basic needs: water, food, and shelter. It’s important when trying to obtain a pest-free home that we are eliminating pest’s basic needs. Limiting their access to these items will be a big step in prevention AND maintenance.
So what steps do you take to eliminate these sources?
How to Eliminate Pest’s Water Sources From Your Home:
- Check under cabinets and sinks for leaks
- Caulk around pipes
- Eliminate any areas in the yard where water pools
- Clean out gutters of debris so water can drain properly
- Don’t leave your pet’s water bowls sitting out
- Remove debris in the yard that gathers water
- Remove standing water from bird baths
How to Eliminate Pest’s Food Sources From Your Home:
- Clean up any food spills immediately
- Don’t leave your pet’s food sitting out
- Keep food (pet food included) in tightly sealed containers
- Take out trash on a regular basis
- Place trash in an outside garbage can with a tightly sealed lid
How to Eliminate Pest’s Access to Shelter From Your Home:
- Be cautious of what you bring in (old furniture, produce, boxes, all can contain bugs that you could potentially bring into your home)
- Caulk and/or seal any cracks or crevices located around windows, doors, pipes, vents, etc.
- Use low sodium vapor lighting on the outside of your home
- Point security lights away from your home
- Trim back vegetation at least 1 foot away from your home
- Remove clutter and debris from the interior and exterior of the home
- Keep doors and windows shut
- If you need to have doors or windows open use screens
If pests have already found their way into your home it’s best to call a professional exterminator. A pest professional can properly inspect your property, identify the pest, identify the sources, effectively treat the home for the targeted pest, and work with you to develop a customized action plan to maintain and prevent further issues from occurring. If you’re in need of a professional pest control company call Northwest Exterminating!