Spring is a time when everything comes to life, blooming into an array of lovely colors. You’ll see flowers that are pink and purple, baby bunnies that are tan or gray and insects that are red and black. Just like every other little life form emerging this time of year, insects can also be a variety of colors and it’s important not to get them confused. Some bugs you might spot frequently are of the Georgia Bulldog variety – red and black spots, stripes and even a combination of both.
If any of these insects or other pests become too much of nuisance, Northwest Exterminating has the expertise and knowledge to take care of your bug problems. Our Director of Pest Services Adam Vannest has provided some information about these bugs that will help you know the difference and what measures to take against them.
– Feeds on aphids
– Control Measures: exclusion and vacuuming for long-term prevention. When necessary, chemical contact treatments can knock down a population
Box Elder Bug
– Female: Box Elder trees and Silver Maple trees serve as the primary host plant
– Control Measures: Exclusion and a contact/residual application around the foundation and base of host plant
– Found in gardens on Milkweed plants or around shelled sunflower seeds
– Control Measures: Over-the-counter garden insecticides
Leaf-Footed Stink Bug
– Feeds on a wide variety of host plants
– Besides birds, they do not have too many natural predators due to their taste and smell
– Control Measures: Over-the-counter insecticides for garden areas. Outside of the garden, any contact or residual product labeled for stink bugs
– Semicircular cogwheel-like crest on its thorax
– Feeds on a wide variety of insects including caterpillars, beetles, aphids
Control Measures: Prevention is the key! All plants should be inspected before they enter the home. Exclusion should be performed for long-term prevention. All vegetation should be trimmed away from the home, at least one foot. Pesticides are rarely needed
I need to get rid of all kinds of bugs, ants, roaches and I saw a little snake fall off my garage door the other evening.
I found numerous ants throughout the house
Some sort of black bug on my bed and on the wall in another room
Some light colored pinhead size bugs on my luggage
I cannot handle all these bugs…I have thrown my bed outside and now I am sleeping on my couch. Can you guys get rid of ALL these pest? Please help.
We have sent an email to you in order to get more information to solve your pest control needs. Be on the look out!