Termites are very destructive and cause billions of dollars of damage to homes each year in the U.S. That is why we are dedicating March’s Pest of the Month to TERMITES!
- Operate under a caste system. There are workers, soldiers, and reproductives.
- Live in colonies underground or in moist secluded areas.
- Feed on items containing cellulose.
- Swarm in the spring when reproductive termites go out to start new colonies.
- Eastern Subterranean termites
- Drywood termites
- Dampwood termites
- Formosan termites
- Cause severe damage to a structure by chewing away at the wood.
- Responsible for more than $2 billion of damage to homes in the US each year.
- Cause more damage in an average year than floods, fires, and tornadoes.
- A termite colony may contain several hundred thousand individuals.
- Divert water away from the foundation of a structure.
- Repair leaky faucets, pipes, and AC units on the outside of the home.
- Properly ventilate areas of high humidity like crawl spaces, attics, and basements.
- Keep mulch or ground cover at least 15 inches away from the foundation of a structure.
- Sentricon Termite Elimination baiting systems may be placed around the perimeter of a structure.
Other Pests to Look Out For
If you think you may have termites, or other pests in your home, call the mouse at 888.466.7849 or visit us online at barnesexterm.wpengine.com